Job Opportunities at GCAPS
Global Center for Automotive Performance Simulation (GCAPS) is an extraordinary facility that provides groundbreaking services for the global transportation industry. We test, model, and run simulations. GCAPS comprises the National Tire Research Center (NTRC), the Southern Virginia Vehicle Motion Labs (SoVa Motion), and the Virtual Design and Integration Laboratory (VDIL). Collectively, these initiatives provide the full range of services essential for crafting a more dynamic vehicle through both virtual and physical development. We are engaged in the future of transportation and we are inventing new methods and technologies. We are about innovation and having fun while doing it.
We are proud to be an affiliated company to Virginia Tech and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.
Health, Dental and Vision benefits along with a very high-reaching retirement savings plan.
We are located at Virginia International Raceway in Alton VA, which is near Danville and South Boston, VA, Roxboro, NC, 45 minutes from Burlington, NC, and 60 minutes from Durham, NC. Cost of living is very reasonable, and even though we do get four seasons the weather is southern style.
Equal Employment Opportunity
To give equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people, employment decisions at VTT, LLC are made based on each person's performance, qualifications, and abilities. VTT, LLC does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
The Equal Employment Opportunity policy covers all employment practices, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
We participate in E-Verify
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.
If interested, please send your resume to HR@sovamotion.com.
Work is performed throughout a heavy industrial and test facility. Potential hazards include high heat application, proximity of moving machinery, noise, heavy lifting, working at heights, in pits and in confined spaces. Will perform routine service, test set ups, adjustments, installations, repairs and modifications to test equipment, buildings and ground; Perform preventive and predictive tasks associated with test and support equipment. Work with little supervision to complete work on time; Understand and perform lockout/tag out, fall protection, confined space and other safety related procedures. Maintain clean and organized work areas. Proficient at using hand tools, portable electric tools and typical shop stationary equipment. Complete required daily paperwork and make computer entries. Capable of learning to operate test equipment. Capable of using computer programs such as Excel and learning basic programing languages such as Mat Lab.
The Engineer role provides exciting career tracks for engineers whose expertise levels range from trainee to advanced level. Responsibilities include applying engineering principles and practices to projects of varying complexity in specialty areas. Specialty areas may require knowledge of math, math modeling and simulation, physics, vehicle dynamics, vehicle modeling, vehicle development, tire dynamics, tire mechanics, tire construction, tire materials, test methods, test standards, test data analysis, test definition and preparation.
- You will operate complex tire test equipment.
- You will engage in test planning and preparation.
- You will support test execution.
- You will complete data analysis and quality assessments.
- You will be trained to calibrate and monitor the test equipment.
- You will collaborate with clients, with Engineers and Technicians to support day to day laboratory operation.
- You will be required to perform some physical work to change test specimens and maintain the test cell and mechanical areas.
- You will follow and enforce all security and safety procedures.
Hours of Operations
- 5:30am to 12:00am
- 6 to 7 days a week
- 40 hours per week on unique shifts such as 4/10hour shifts, second shifts, and weekends.
- Shift premiums paid.
- Degrees in Engineering, Math, Physics, or related disciplines that enable knowledge of in math, physics, vehicle dynamics, vehicle modeling, vehicle development, tire dynamics, tire mechanics, test methods, test standards, test data analysis, test definition and preparation.
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience preferred; however, we will consider you if you possess a strong desire to learn and an undaunted work ethic.
This job involves mounting and balancing tires for our test lab. The tire technician will remove a tires from a rims, mount a new tires, balance the assembly then move it the test machine and mount it for test. During some test sessions this process will repeat itself every 20 minutes. The tire technician will be expected to follow all safety procedures. The tire technician will also keep the work areas ( floors, benches...) clean as well as the tools, belts, machines and instrumentation. The tire technician will put all tools and supplies back after use. This is an entry level position with opportunity for advancement for the right individual. Attention to detail and a strong work ethic are essential. Second shift and weekend work is common.
You will be expected to generate math files of tires tested at the NTRC. Your math models should be easily integrated into vehicle models dependent on customer requirements for use in analytical vehicle development. Matlab or some other type of coding may be required to translate raw physical tire data to multiple formats for use in creation of math models. Math models will need to be built in multiple formats to enable multiple customer usage. Position will need to direct the physical testing in order to produce accurate math models. Investigate predictive models of tires based on tire database at NTRC. You will be expected to clearly and properly communicate with the customer the results of the math models produced and respond to questions.
- You will need experience in taking physical test data and converting to math model
- You will need experience in crafting physical tests to support math model
- You will need Vehicle Dynamics Modeling understanding
- Design of Experiments experience and understanding of noise factors ~ DFSS or similar
- You will need a strong mechanical engineering background
- Experience in physical tire modeling
- Experience in Matlab/Simulink
- Preferred experience in Carsim, Trucksim, and ADAMS
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
Minimum B.S. in Engineering
- Utilize video and time-based data to perform scenario reconstruction to support mathematical modeling and simulation of scenario.
- You will support process improvements for scenario reconstruction
- You will follow and enforce all security and safety procedures.
- Create Simulations
- Minimum B.S. in Engineering, Math, Physics and or Computer Science
- You will need Basic Computer Skills-Microsoft Office.
- You will need Basic coding skills- Matlab, Python, C++
- Do you have a Strong dedication to learning?
- Good Work Ethic
- Attention to detail. Any particular piece of information could be useful, and getting all the viable information in the first pass is vital to success.
- You need dedication to perfection. There is a lot of tweaking to make even the smallest details perfect.
- Do you possess a deep understanding of distance from images? You will need to rely on an understanding of distance to issues as they arise.